Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fun on the Fourth!!

Happy Independence Day everyone!  I’m only a few days late but I thought it might be fun to show you a little of how I spent my July 4th holiday.  I am so spoiled.  Everything you need to see in Atlanta on the 4th is located only a few steps from  my fella’s condo on Peachtree Street in Buckhead.  No traffic, no hassle. We start off the day by going down to view the Peachtree Road Race… up close and personal.  As in, the runners are literally inches away. 

 

BLOG PICS 001

First the line of policemen let you know it is almost time….

BLOG PICS 002

Then come the elite runners.  Sorry this is so blurry, but these guys are MOVING!  It is amazing to see how fast they pass by.  They are beautiful… so graceful and fluid in their movements.  Now, runners later in the race…not so much.

BLOG PICS 003

I wish this were clearer so you could see the look of concentration on their faces.

BLOG PICS 012

There are always quite a few people who dress up in crazy costumes which are a hoot to watch.  This year there was a guy in a towel and shower cap!  Wish I had a picture to show you.

BLOG PICS 014

Of course, there is always a lot of red, white and blue.

BLOG PICS 018

Here are a couple of shots taken from the balcony looking toward downtown showing  just how congested Peachtree is.  And it stays like this for HOURS!

BLOG PICS 019

Approximately 55,000 runners were in the race this year.  55,000 can you imagine?  That is the population of a small city.  

BLOG PICS 024

The view toward Lenox ,where the race starts, showing a solid mass of humanity.  Wonder how many say a little prayer as they pass the three churches.  “Lord, I promise to be good if you just let me finish this race and get my  t-shirt.”

BLOG PICS 031

As darkness descends it’s time to head to the other balconies and look toward Lenox Square for the fireworks display.  Ever tried to photograph fireworks?  Not so easy.  Sorry.  In person they were very dramatic this year.  Great finale!

 BLOG PICS 035

Want to see actual fireworks photos from Lenox?  I’m sure there are millions online that put these to shame.  Even tho’ my sweet daddy was a professional photographer, obviously I didn’t inherit that gene. 

So that is a taste of how I spent my fourth.  Hoping yours was just as festive.

Reesa

No comments:

Post a Comment