Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Market Update

Inside AmericasMart Building 3 by vjl.

Well, I am just back from the July market in Atlanta, sore feet and all.  When planning for market I make lists of what I need for Perfect Home, what design trends to look for, and customer requests, but it’s really all about the shoes!!!   Six million square feet of Americasmart and I swear I hoofed them all!!!  The photo above is from the Apparel Mart, where I learned the ropes of retail many many years ago.  In fact, when I first started in the bridal business in 1978, the only building was the current Merchandise Mart and I thought it was overwhelming!  I remember my first trip circling the tenth floor several times looking for the bridal showrooms only to discover I was on the wrong floor!  Talk about green!  But I’ve come a long way, baby.

What was just one building back in the day is now four, if you count Inforum, the technology building which I luckily don’t have to shop.  People always say “Market must be so  much fun” and it certainly is if you don’t mind swollen feet, yucky food and a bone tired body.  But for some reason, I can’t wait to go every few months.  It is such a challenge searching for just the right thing to add to my store mix.  I thought a lot this week about what it is I am constantly searching for and came to the conclusion that what I want to bring back to my customers is a very high end designer look at an affordable price.  Often that is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  I always start by visiting the exclusive designer showrooms to look for the latest trends and to be inspired.  Then the search begins….looking for that elusive line that captures the designer look at a reasonable price.  It is so important to me to offer you a quality, yet  attainable  look.  Most times I succeed.  But just know it takes tired feet to pull it off!   Here are a few of my finds from this month’s market.

A couple of beautiful vases and candle holder from one of my new lines

image

image

Loved these new photo frames and decorative blocks… great gift items.

image

Beautiful burled wood chest will be arriving around the first week of September…

image

along with this console table.

image

I ordered oodles of really terrific lamps… wish I had more photos of them.  The one above is so unique.  This year there was more color in lamps and accessories which I was so glad to see.  There seemed to be  a trend toward more sparkly glass and silver. I found a new line of accessories with wonderful heavy glass hurricanes held by metalwork.  Can’t wait until they arrive in a few weeks.  Another trend I saw was an overall “cleaner” aesthetic.  Not necessarily contemporary, but a more modern approach to lamps, art and accessories.  Now this is still the south, so we will never lose our traditional feel, but a sprinkling of more modern touches is a terrific way to update your traditional look.  More about that in a future post.

ART_EscherStairs by Lynne Cymone.

Cool view down one the spiral staircase…vertigo anyone?

  MART 8956 by RANCHO COCOA.

So that’s an insider’s view of the mysterious “market” that retailers speak of.  Hope you enjoyed the tour and the sneak peek of Perfect Home’s  latest acquisitions.  The new merchandise  should start arriving in the next three weeks to four weeks. I didn’t even show you the Christmas items…too hot to think about that until later.    There are sooo many  goodies to come, I can’t wait to start unpacking those boxes.

Now off to soak my feet…again!

Reesa 

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment