Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The “Undecorated” Home

0910-bianchi-decoration-living-room-06-de

I see a trend, people.  {Sounds like that creepy movie from a few years ago.}  I call it the “undecorated” room, or maybe the over decorated room is a more apt description.  More and more, I see this in magazines and blogs.  It seems as if someone said, “let’s see just how much we can pack in a room”.  Check out the room above…what do you think?  Is it just a hodge podge of furniture and accessories, or is it a thoughtful and collected assemblage of items?

Even though some of the pieces are very nice, it seems, to my eye, just a bit much.  No rhyme or reason.  Let’s  jam some pretty things together and call it decorating.  My eye is so busy jumping around the room, I’m getting dizzy.  When I am making “house calls” for Perfect Home, over and over I find myself saying “you have too many little things and not enough big things”.  People seem to collect “stuff” and feel it all must be displayed.  Not so!  Fewer large items make so much more of an impact that a jumble of “little things”.  Clearly, the home above hasn’t had a Perfect Home house call!

Now, I love  a layered collected look, in fact as I contemplate the redesign of my own home that is the feel I am after.  But this is too much! 

DSC_0598

Now look at this…. same room!  Someone must have read my mind.  Though still a bit too much for my taste, this is certainly pared down.  Notice not as much on the mantle and no large painted screen inside the fireplace.  Less side tables cluttering the space and I love the addition of the round table with chairs turned outward.  The plant and statuary are a nice touch.  Again, big things!  See the difference….impact!

So what do you think…. an undecorated mish mash mess, or lovely layered look?  Leave me a comment and let me know which you prefer.

Reesa

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment