Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Evolution of a Room

To many people the design of a room seems to be some baffling, yet magical process shrouded in mystery.   The domain of snooty designers who you fear will sniff at your belongings and tell you to just “throw it all out, darlin’ and start over”. 

Well, not so!  Certainly not here at Perfect Home.  Don’t be fooled by the name of my store… no home is truly perfect!  This I know.  Homes are for living in, not for filling the pages of some shelter magazine.  Don’t you ever wonder what they do with all their “stuff” in those glossy magazine pages of perfection?  Where the heck are the scuffed up tennis shoes, dog’s bowl.. and where is the TV?   Where is real life?

I thought it might be interesting to show what truly goes into the decoration of a room.  A behind the scenes peek at the progression of a project from start to finish.  I certainly never profess to be an elite high end designer with all the degrees and fancy portfolios, but I do love pulling a room together for my customers.  I try to make the process as painless as possible.  We’re not decorating for a magazine shoot…. we’re decorating for real life.  It’s not brain surgery folks, it’s decorating and it should be FUN! 

The beginning of a new project is always exciting, for both the client and myself.  The exchange of ideas, the initial concept, the planning and progression of the project…all in good time.   Let’s take a look at what goes into making a room somewhere you will enjoy spending time.  And in the process you will see it really is enjoyable and not at all intimidating.   Here we go!

One of my latest projects is a study/office for a young family I’ve worked with before.  They have graciously invited all of you along for the ride.  I hope you will enjoy watching the evolution of this room. 

016

OK, I know all of you with small children have { or had at one time}  a room like this! Don’t judge!!

017

The bones of this room are wonderful and we will work with the existing curtains.

After a discussion of what this room wanted to be, we decided on a warm and cozy study for the grown-ups with a desk to function as somewhat of a home office.  The messy bill paying/ tax preparing /coupon clipping home office will be elsewhere.  First stop, the desk.  We just needed a smaller desk to hold a laptop, so the search was on!

After searching through my resources and considering this one….

a little too  “desky”….

or this… a little too dressy.

For a while this was a possibility….

And then, my client, while visiting her sister for an afternoon of antique shopping, called me and said I think I found it!  After emailing photos and calls back and forth, this is what we decided on.

photo[1]

We both loved the rounded shape and I especially love the stretcher bar at the bottom.  It has lots of character, yes?  I think it will live very happily in this lovely home.

And so it begins.   The evolution of a room.  In the next post  I will take you through our fabric selections….stay tuned.

Reesa

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment